Thursday, February 11, 2010

Random 5: (Not really random, my iPod is going in alphabetical order.)

Gene Clark-I Really Don't Want to Know: Ever heard a really bad Gene Clark track? I didn't think so. SO if he's covering a killer Loretta Lynn song, it's bound to be good. Gene Clark kills this this sorrowful ballad. Possibly even sadder than the original, due to a slower tempo.

Jason and the Scorchers-I Really Don't Want to Know: Bluesy rockabilly version, complete with harmonica solo. Ginger loves Jason, so I'm digging in. I like him. Some of the stuff is great, some is a little too bluesy/rockabilly. It's a great song, as I said, so it's not too bluesy-boring, but Clark's version is better. There are good breakdowns and dynamics. And it rocks.

T-Rex-I Really Love You Babe: Late-period T-Rex. I love it all. This one has great female back-ups. A good mid-tempo declaration of love. A nice fuzzy solo guitar tone. Glammy and psychadellic as only Marc can do it. A throwaway T-Rex song, but it would be many other band's best song.

Gene Clark-I Remember the Railroad: Not only another Clark song, but off the same album, Roadmaster. I need that vinyl, still. My birthday is coming up... Same mood as the Lynn cover. Slow, contemplative, sorrowful, gentle, beautiful. His smooth croon mirrored ny the pedal steel is a great blend.

Richard Thompson-I Ride in Your Slipstream: One of his moody minor shuffles. Not my favorite of his moods, but a decent tune. Definitely not his best. It's off Mirror Blue, which has one of my favorite songs of all of his, Beeswing. Every time I listen to one of his solo albums, I yearn for it to be all acoustic, finger-picking-traditional folk sounding sad songs. But I'll take what I can get from him, because the good stuff is mind-blowing.


In these 5 songs, none are from this decade, or even the 90s. I have been worried aboutmyself with respect to this trend, lately...

No comments: