Sunday, June 22, 2008

50,000, 000 Elvis Fans Can Be Wrong.

Elvis Presley had a greatest hits collection called 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong. There is a prevailing attitude that sales and popularity are unquestionable, inalienable and incontestable factors to the merit of a particular act. I say, no way. I say that at least for some of those outside the 50,000,000, 50, 000, 000 Elvis Fans CAN be Wrong.

Now, I have often been accused of championing the underdog or runner-up, simply for the pleasure of being contrarian. Pretentious? Contentious? Mais NON! I earnestly cling to the belief that I am true to my own muse when it comes to the music i like. I try not to let trendiness and popular or critical opinion filter my assessment in any way. I think this sometimes leads to unpopular opinions, but I also hold many popular opinions Of these popular opinions, I find that they are a mix of hip and square, alike. I know I come off as a snob and it's tempting to lump me in with the know-it-alls and the indier-than-thou types. I also know that sometimes I may judge an uber-popular band more harshly than an unpopular band. I still feel like I follow my bliss more than anything else when forming an opinion on some song or band.

So, I feel that if you, dear reader, are reading my blog, you should bear in mind that I believe 50, 000, 000 Elvis Fans CAN Be Wrong. If you are prompted to reply to something I write that strikes you as incendiary, and i encourage you to do so, please leave out the but-they-have-so-many-fans logic. It is not tendered here.

No comments: